Monday, November 9, 2009

Cool Constellations

Finally!


We finally had a night where there were no clouds and the stars were out and absolutely beautiful to see! It was about 6:45 pm and my daughter and I sat on our back deck and searched for a few constellations. Of course, we saw the big dipper and most of Ursa Major. It was located at about 10 degrees azimuth and latitude of about 30 degrees.





We also found Cassiopeia, which was located at about 345 degree azimuth and at a latitude of about 80 degrees. But the constellations we were most excited to find was Draco and Perseus (Camelopardis was there, but not as easy to see as the others). Draco was located at about 10 degrees azimuth and was rather easy to find because I knew it ran between the big and little dippers. I knew Perseus was located around Casseopeia and once I found the cluster of stars I knew it had to be it. It was located at about an azimuth of 320 degree and a latitude of about 45 degree.



It was a lot of fun showing my daughter the constellations, we are both excited to go out and find some more.

references:
http://www.areavoices.com/astrobob/images/Draco_summer_SMALL.jpg
http://mexicanskies.com/constellations/cassiopeia.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment